Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bonesaw is ready....

Hello everybody! It is indeed transfer week and I am... still here in El Paso/Sunland Park/Santa Teresa! I have a new companion, his name is Elder Jones. He's from Iowa City, Iowa (Hawkeye territory). Elder Bennion is headed over to Chaparral! That's pretty exciting. Three months ago he was an English Elder enjoying University wards and steak and potatoe dinners, and now he's headed to the ghettoest part of the mission.

This last Saturday we had the baptisms of two brothers, David and Edgar Colmenero. They're thirteen and fourteen years old, we had to reactivate the Mom and we're still working on their older brother (inactive) and their Dad (Non-member). It was a great baptismal service, and they're wonderful young men.

We had a couple of investigators at church. Carol showed up which is awesome. I think I already mentioned her, she's 17 years old, and she called for a book of Mormon from a pass-along card that she found in her door. Her Dad won't let us teach her in the house, so we had the 2nd lesson at starbucks and we have an appointment for tomorrow at Whataburger. (We're debating whether or not we should go back to Starbucks when we teach the word of wisdom). She's got a baptismal date for this month and she's progressing well.

We're all excited for Conference this weekend. We're all taking our guesses on who the next apostle is going to be. I've got:
1) Neil Andersen
2) Cesil(sp?) Samuelson
3) Richard G. Hinckley

I tried to convince Elder Bennion that we should take bets but he wasn't a big fan of that idea. But now he's gone and Elder Jones is her so we'll see what he says. Just kidding... (but seriously)

Frank Antunez received the Aaronic priesthood on Sunday. That was a very special experience. He was so excited. It was so refreshing to hear his perspective on the priesthood. After church he just kept asking us "How can I use this? How can I serve? How can I help my family with this?" I love hearing outsiders' perspectives on things such as this. It makes you realize how much you take for granted. You've got to realize how others look at the word priesthood. Grace was so proud to have a priesthood-holder as a husband.

We had to tell an investigator to stop praying to Joseph Smith. Catholic habits can be hard to kick. We found out he was using the picture of the first vision from the first lesson pamphlet as an imagen. (image? idol?) I know that that's bad and really not that funny but I had a really hard time keeping a straight face when he told us all that.

The Varela family drove out from Chaparral on Saturday. They remembered that it was my birthday and they took me to lunch. That was awesome. Veronica's 11-year boyfriend is finally marrying her on April 25th (The same one that I taught a year ago when I was in chappytown). She asked if I would do the baptism if I was still around, and I will be! Yay!

Well that's about it for this week. Thanks to whoever sent me those white pants and that white tie. I really appreciate it. And thanks to Grammie for the birthday card.

The work is going great out here! I love being a missionary!

Love,

Elder Ben Wilson

No comments: