Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feb 23, 09 Remember, Mum's the word

Hello everyone! It's been another week here in sunny El Paso. We've had some great experiences, but first off, I'll answer some questions.

No I don't know who I want to room with when I get back. I was thinking about an Elder from the MTC, Elder Parker, who's serving in the Arcadia mission but I really have no idea how to get in contact with him. Besides that, there really aren't very many Aggies here in the mission, especially Aggies who are going to be going home at about the same time as me. So I'm not sure what you want to do about that.

So I did get the camera... the day after my other camera was found. I should be getting it back this Friday. So I should have two cameras starting on Friday, I dont know which you want me to send back or how or anything but you can let me know about that.

Well it's story time. We have a 20 year old investigator named Clint. Clint has some crazy ideas about religion and spirituality, REALLY CRAZY IDEAS. He also cusses like a sailor. Now Clint really is a fine young man, but the previously mentioned attributes combined to make me really, REALLY nervous when he got up to give his testimony in sacrament meeting yesterday (We have Stake Conference next week). I have rarely prayed harder in my life. I just kept praying for three things. 1) That Clint wouldn't swear 2) That he wouldn't teach false doctrine and 3) That he would find a way to manage to testify of the restoration. Miraculously, those prayers were answered. Not a foul word escaped his mouth, he, at one point, testified "I know that this church is true", and he didn't really teach any false doctrine (Although he came dangerously close when he went off about meditating on Budha for a while.)

In fact, his testimony was quite touching! He said "Even while we're all seeking God, he's always seeking out us as well." Added bonus: His testimony kind of turned us (the missionaries) into celebrities. Usually most people don't really notice when we bring investigators to church but they sure did yesterday. So Clint is progressing towards baptism. He's got some obstacles to overcome (He needs to stop refering to the Spirit as "An electro-magnetic spiritual essence force") but he's got great desires and a great spirit and he understands the gospel a little more every day.

We continue to be blessed. Five investigators came to church and seven have baptismal dates (two got violently sick on Saturday and couldn't come to church). We're seeing a good amount of success in the English ward, which is unusual. I think that the Lord is blessing them for the way that they have helped and friendshipped the Meek family.

We also had an investigator named Enrique who came to church. He works at the racetracks, training horses. He was even working on Sunday and showed up to church in his working jeans, splattered with mud. It was pretty funny, and I was very greatful that our wonderful, humble Spanish ward is a little more accepting of that kind of thing than most wards.

Well anyways, that's about it for this week's edition. I'm healthy and happy and greatful to be serving the Lord.

Love,

Elder Benjamin Wilson

No comments: