Friday, February 13, 2009

Jan 26, 2009-- New Strategy R2: Let the Wookie win!

Hello everybody! It's been another week here in El Paso! Everything is going well, we had a couple of investigators at church and we have a couple of baptismal dates so we're excited for how things are progressing here in dusty Sunland Park/Santa Teresa/ El Paso! First, one of those "classic missionary experiences". I have lived in some of the most dog-infested areas in the United States (Chaparral, Sunland Park, South Tucson) for months now without receiving a real bite. We all knew it was too good to last.

Last Wednesday we went to go visit an investigator and found an interesting situation. There was a fence, closed but not locked, then two huskies, and then the trailer. Well I really wanted to visit this investigator (She was the one I mentioned in last week's email.). One of these impressively sized dogs had it's muzzle sticking out of the fence and was wagging its tail in a rather friendly manner. I thought I'd test the waters just to make sure. So I offered the dog my hand, which it kindly considered for a few seconds before attempting to turn my right pointer finger knuckle into cottage cheese.

I had a member who's a doctor check it out and it's not infected or anything, plus the dog was up to date on its shots so I'm all good, no need to worry, not a big deal. In fact, all in all it was a pretty fun experience. My finger was good enough that I played some tennis (Split 1 set a piece against my companion) this morning and I'm typing now.

The day after a dog stuck his head out of a fence and was wagging his tail, and I reached down and petted him. My companion thought I was crazy (you might be inclined to agree) but I love dogs, and I'm not going to let one stupid one permanently inject fear into my life.
moving on.

This week we're going on a ton of exchanges. Tuesday I'm headed off to Chaparral (old area), Wednesday I'm back and my companion is going with one of the English elders, and Thursday I'm headed with one of the el centro companionships (another one of my old areas), so it should be fun!

Work in the English ward is moving at a snails pace. We spent this last week knocking in "white areas" to try to do our part but we found zip, 0, Nada. So we're basically going to stay in Sunland park and work on the Spanish side of things for the time being.

Well that's about all I have to tell you all for this week. Everything is pretty tranquilo around here. I hope it isn't trite to thank everyone for their love and support every week but I really do appreciate it.

Love,

Elder Ben Wilson

PS
I got an email back saying wilsclan@google.com isn't valid or something, so I sent this to a bunch of other people.

No comments: