Friday, February 13, 2009

Feb 9, 2009-- Because Indianna was the name of the dog!

Hello everybody! It's amazing to think that it's been another week since the last time I emailed. By the way, transfers are a week from Wednesday so don't send any letters that won't get here by February 18th. As is usually the case, I don't expect to get transfered but there always is that possibility.

The work has been going well here. We've got a few progressing investigators. We received a couple of referrals at church from members who brought non-member family or friends to church this Sunday. Way to go members!

Today we have a big showdown with the Elders from El Centro in basketball. Loser buys lunch and winner takes home a trophy (A broken nutcracker). I'm pretty confident although my companion, Elder Bennion, is still kind of a wild card because I've never played with him before.

We got about 10 minutes of rain yesterday. It was awesome. The weather is about perfect right now, mid to high 70s.

We had another run in with a dog but this time it ended without a bite. We walked into a gate and knocked on a door when a decent sized boxer (boxter?) came running around the corner, barking and growling. He started snapping at my companions ankles when I decided to swing my Book of Mormon at him and yell "HA!" which scared him long enough for us to run and jump the fence.

The other day we contacted someone who seemed really interested but when we went back for our appointment she informed us that she definitely was NOT interested.
I asked why not.
Because she hadn't realized that we were Mormons, and she had heard some things about the Mormons that made her not want to speak with us.
What kinds of things, I asked.
Well you're all too strict for me, she responded.
I thought that that was a funny thing to say so I asked just to make sure "you know we use technology, right?"
She gave me a disbelieving face.
No, really! Look, here's my cell phone.
Oh... I thought you were the guys that ride around on bikes.
We are.
Well don't you do that because you aren't allowed to use cars?

Well anyways, to make a long story short, she had confused us with Mennonites but now she's investigating the church. But it made me laugh to see what people think of us when they see us riding around on our bikes.

I've been studying a little bit about revelation. I was struck by a couple of scriptures. Joel 2:28 And D&C 1:20. After reading those two scriptures, I am convinced that we are entitled to receive revelation of the same PURITY and QUALITY as that of the prophets. Though we don't always insert "Thus saith the Lord" before the communications that we receive from our Father in heaven, it's been helpful to me to remember that we pretty much could. It's inspired me to trust in personal revelation more, to seek that sort of divine communication more earnestly, and to take my prayers a little bit more seriously.

Well anyways, those are pretty much all of my thoughts for the week. I love you all so very much and am grateful for your continued prayers and support.

Love,

Elder Benjamin Wilson

No comments: