Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Are There Rocks Ahead? If There Are, We'll All Be Dead

September 29, 2008

Hello everybody! It's been another awesome week here in Tucson. We had another baptism this last Saturday and it was spiritually powerful. We've been seeing a lot of success working with part-member families, and we found another one just yesterday with two un-baptized teenagers. So the work is going well.

Next week is General conference and that's exciting for a couple of reasons:
1) Hear the words of the prophets and apostles
2) I can take a break from correcting apostasy during church (Last week the Young Womens teacher let everyone know that it's okay to drink coffee as long as it's decaf)

Thanks for all the pictures from the Hales and Hare fams. Those pictures at Disneyland were crazy awesome... and baby Eva looks so cute. And I can't believe how big the Hales boys are getting. Tell them to stop growing until I get home!

Someone asked me if I'm more organized. Answer: Yes. But my memory is still somewhere around the level of a goldfish. And I still misplace things all the time. Some things even a mission can't fix.

By the way I never did receive a copy of Mom's first D&C Scripture Study. I just got an old one that I already had from Mosiah. That would be really really nice to get.

In case anyone was wondering, the weather continues about normal. 100 degrees almost every day. It's significantly better than a month or two ago, though.

Here's something that has really helped me in my teaching. I think it's good advice for anyone who teaches the gospel. Teaching Mosiah 3:19 leads to Mosiah 4:1-3. So many missionaries avoid teaching the fall because it can be somewhat tricky but it's so worth it when you do it right. It helps people to realize that their works aren't going to save them.

Which brings me to another point. Before the mission I always that Paul was kind of crazy. Why does he spend so much time on "saved by grace" doctrine? It always kind of bugged me because it leads to all of these "confess with the mouth and ye shall be saved" nuts. But after a year in the mission field I realize that 90% of people out there believe that their works are going to save them and don't really rely on the merits of him who is mighty to save.

Well anyways, I feel that I've rambled enough. (Inevitably I'll get a few emails telling me I didn't, anyways) Thank you for all the love and support. I have such amazing family and friends. Viva Tucson!

Love,

Elder Wilson


No comments: