Monday, August 18, 2008

August 11, 2008 - What are the chances of a girl like you and a guy like me ending up together? One in a million.

...So you're sayin' there's a chance!

Hello everybody! I'm still alive and doing OK. It's been quite a week here in Tucson.

A couple of days ago my companion got nailed by a car. T-boned by a big 'ol truck when were crossing a crosswalk on our bikes. Miraculously, he walked away with a bruised ankle and nothing else. WOW! Complete miracle, I was 99% sure he had a broken leg when I saw him get hit. But we're always very safe on our bikes so don't worry about us!

Monsoon season has been going late and we got hit HARD a couple of times last week. One time we got hit while we were on our bikes and we weren't able to get around for a while because so many roads were flooded.

We had a cool experience with another downpour. I think this happened last Tuesday, anyways, we had a really powerful night planned out. We had good appointments at 6, 7, and 8, and we had a member going out with us, Hermano Arias. Well the appointment fell at 6 and so did our backups, our appointment at 7 turned out to kind of stink (Our investigator pretty much dropped us), and our appointment fell through at 8. Around 8 the rain started to come down... HARD!!! Like I said we went to go visit an investigator for an appointment but they weren't there. The rain started falling so hard that Hno. Arias deemed it unsafe to drive on the road (I mean it was really really coming down). So we pulled off into the parking lot of Whataburger and offered to buy us a burger. Well I wasn't that hungry, but, seeing that there wasn't really anything else we could do, accepted.

At this point, I started to get a little discouraged. I started thinking "Man, we did everything right. We planned out the night, set good backups, prayed for inspiration, got a member with us, but the night was super unsuccessful, what happened?" I walked into Whataburger with this kind of poopy attitude and depressed feeling, and walked up to the counter.

Before I could order anything, the girl at the register says "What's that book you have?" pointing at the Book of Mormon in my hand.
"It's the Book of Mormon."
"...could you tell me what it's about?"
"YEAH! Of course!"

We got to spend five to ten minutes teaching her right there at the counter of Whataburger and she was really interested! Turns out she lives outside of our area, so we had to pass on the referral, but it was still an awesome experience! It was a testimony builder for me in enduring to the end. And also in that, when we put forth all of our effort, the Lord will always make up the rest.

The work progresses. We have some amazing investigators right now. One just showed up at church one day and said "I've been going to church in Phoenix for two weeks, some of my family has already been baptized, let's work towards baptism." ... Sounds good to me!

We're also teaching a family that we found because a few returned missionaries contacted and taught the father of the family at work. Hooray for member-missionaries! This family of six is going to enter the waters of baptism and have their sins remitted because a few 22 year olds opened their mouths at work!

Well I hope that this email has been sufficiently long. I hope that everyone is doing well. It's always good to hear from all of you. Thank you everyone who wrote this last week (Mom, Dad, Grammy, Poppa, Mary, Brig)! Your letters are always so full of inspiration. How lucky I am to have grown up surrounded by spiritual giants!

I love you all!

Love,

Elder Ben

No comments: