Monday, August 18, 2008

February 7, 2008 - Now THIS is the kind of stuff they should be teaching in the army. ..

...they are.
No kidding?

Hello one and all! I'm still here in Chaparral. Elder Erickson got shipped out to Sierra Vista (Somewhere over in Arizona) for his last transfer and now I'm with Elder Adams from Alaska. He seems cool but seeing as I've been his companion for a grand total of 2 hours, I really can't tell you too much else.

In fact the transfer buses got in late today so I have less time to write than usual but I'll see how much I can cram into one email.

One quick story before I forget: We contacted a bum from the streets of Chaparral named Harry. He's crazy. Really crazy. He just repeats himself over and over again.

First off Elder Erickson had talked to him before so one of the first things he asks him is "So, Harry, when was the last time you walked on water?" and Harry answers "Oh a few weeks ago. Wasn't no big deal really, no real wind so the water wasn't real choppy. I didn't get splashed."

Next he says "Well just so you know... I PUT CHAPARRAL ON THE MAP! I practically built this place with my bear hands. You see I drew a picture of the general store that they used for a famous post card. It's been all over the world you know, Russia, Australia, SIBERIA! I know it's been to Siberia because when I got it back I had to brush the snow off of it. So like I said, I did put Chaparral on the map. My post cards been all over this world."

then Elder Erickson (who is absolutely loving this) leans in and says:
"Just this world?"

"Oh I've thought about putting it on a microdot and sending it to the moon. Haven't done it yet, but I will someday. People will be screaming for my postcard, paying hundreds of dollars, cuz my postcard been to the moon."

...well anyways you get the picture. It was really really fun.

By the way, today, I finally got Aunt Janett's CD of conference. THANK YOU SO MUCH! What an amazing gift for a missionary, especially one with a huge area who spends a lot of time in the car. Apparently it was delivered to my old area and just sat there for a few weeks. But again, Aunt Jannett, THANK YOU!

And thank you parents for the written transcript. I grabbed a Spanish Liahona of that conference and I'm reading from the two and comparing for Spanish study. It's awesome.

I don't know if I've written about President Hinckley's farewell but it was very very touching. I have heard many express how comfortable they felt with President Hinckley at the head of the church and I felt exactly the same way. I will miss his wise and innovative leadership, his quick sense of humor, his great humility, and his grandfatherly council. He was one of the greatest leaders that the world has ever seen and a true prophet of God.

Well I'm afraid I'm already out of time but I love and miss you all. I love being out here, the work is great! Write me, I love hearing from you!

Love,

Elder Wilson

No comments: