Monday, August 18, 2008

June 16, 2008 - It's a good thing you're not a big fat guy or this would be reeeaaallly difficult.

+5 points if you know what that one is from.


+5 points if you know what that one is from.

So apparently the desert can be beautiful. This morning, I had the opportunity to go mountain biking with President Higham, my companion, and one of the zone leaders. We went through a really really beautiful desert trail. The only not beautiful thing about it was that I had to be REALLY REALLY careful not to crash because there are homicidal psycho angry plants with needles the size of number 2 pencils on every side waiting to catch you when you fall. But it was very beautiful and very fun.

All in all, Tucson is a much prettier place than El Paso. Let's not beat around the bush, El Paso might be the ugliest place on earth. It's by far the ugliest place I've ever seen. I have a DEEP love for it and the people that live there but it's just ugly.

Tucson, on the other hand is a quite beautiful type of desert. So I guess it's a trade off: Here, it's a lot easier to love the place, but I'm still working on the love of the people (The Sonoran Mexicans are pretty rude as opposed to the Chihuahans who are really really kind and loving). Also, there's a lot less Spanish here. They tell me that I'm in the most Spanish speaking area in Tucson but it's way less than I ever spoke in any of my El Paso areas. Oh, and it's an oven out here. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT DRY DRY DRY DRY. That's the only way I can explain the weather.

My companion is Elder Lopez, he's from Fresno, California. He's going to celebrate four years in the church next month. He was introduced through a friend. (Hooray for good member-missionaries!) His family is all Mexican so he speaks Spanish very well. He's kind of a goof (Likes to joke around alot) but all in all a good missionary who works hard.

To answer one of Dad's questions: We never did any community service in El Paso and here we work at the zoo once a month. The second Tuesday of every month is when we go over there to do service, and we happen to pass by In-n-out every time! But unfortunately In-n-out is way out of our zone so we don't get to go there except for once a month (when we do service).

Our branch is pretty small. On Sunday, there were about 14 people in church when it started at 10:00 AM. However, 75% of the branch arrives between 10:30 and 10:45 so it's not that small.

We do not have a car. Full Bike. I don't know if you've ever tried biking in an oven with a white shirt and tie, but I highly recommend it.

My camera is in one piece. Unfortunately, it's in one piece in Horizon, Texas. I'm making some arrangements and it should make it's way across the mission in a couple of weeks. Whoops! Look on the bright side, considering how much stuff I usually forget, this has been a remarkably successful transfer for me. I only forgot one shirt, my baptism pants, and my camera.

One of my investigators in Horizon, Isella, cooked us some "comida bien Mejicana" (Really Mexican food) when I left. I was about three bites in before I was crying, my mouth numb, and my nose running uncontrallably. That was the spiciest food I have ever eaten in my entire life.

Oh yeah, and there's crime down here. Yesterday I saw someone pull out a gun, and another guy bust out a knife (two different incidents, and both viewed from a distance so don't worry too much). I thought about not including this (for the sake of the health of my dear mother), but that's the reality of how my area is.

Well that's about it from Tucson. I'm really really excited about working here. I feel like it's going to be a challenge for sure but I've never felt so close to the Lord and full of the spirit as I do now. Family, friends, I love you all! You're all amazing! Thanks for the letters and support.

Love,

Elder Wilson

No comments: