Monday, August 18, 2008

July 28, 2008 - That's it! I draw the line at the monkeys.

What's up everyone. Things are still going well here in the toasty town of Tucson. The new companion is doing well. He's already made some big strides with his Spanish although it's still pretty rough.

One cool experience for you really quick:

Some Elders love to Bible Bash. I used to be one of them. It was a fad and I got over it after a month or two. It's mostly self-engrandizing, spirit-quenching, love-destroying, head games. Even still, it can be pretty tough to kick the habit of bustin' out the Bible and flippin' to your tried and true battle scriptures every time someone brings up a doubt.

Well anyways we were teaching a random woman that we contacted on the street and all was going well until we reached the first vision. I told the story of the virst vision and she matter of factly told us that that story could not be true because God the Father and Jesus are the same person. Out came the old Bible and I was just flipping to the martyrdom of Stephen when a REALLY loud military plane flew over head. For 30 seconds we couldn't hear anything except for that plane. So I had 30 second to stand there and ponder on what Jesus Christ would do if he were in this situation.

I closed the Bible and, when I could be heard again, bore my testimony of the Godhead and first vision in clear and simple terms and told her that she could reach the same knowledge through study and prayer. After I did that her countenance changed. She relaxed and opened up. She said that she like what and how we were teaching and invited us to come back and share more another day.

I have a testimony that that plane was sent from God to stop me from contending. The spirit of God doesn't stick around long when there's contention, and if that plane wouldn't have come, the spirit would have been lost, and she never would have investigated the church.

Switching gears: It's good to hear that Elliott and Spencer are home. Say hello to them from me! Tell them to write me. I miss 'em both.

By the way, we can't go to Juarez on temple trips anymore because they're averaging 8 murders a day from what our Mission President tells us. Bad luck. If i had stayed in Chaparral another transfer I would have had the opportunity to go but, alas, twas not to be.

Well I better get going, we've got a busy preparation day in front of us. I love you all! Keep up the letters!

Love,

Elder Ben "Tree" Wilson

No comments: