Monday, August 18, 2008

January 7, 2008 - Fueron bautizados otra vez. . que raro

Hello everyone! First to answer some questions:

1) We drive 20 minutes over to a town called Anthony in order to go to church.
2) If you are Google mapping where I live, I'm in the little group of trailers, the farthest one back.
3) It's a branch, not a ward
4) We drive into the northeast part of El Paso in order to buy things (Unfortunately Stires and the Dollar Store just don't cut it)
5) I still do have some emergen-c but I could really use some Mephisto thick socks.
6) I'm fully recovered now and excited to work full speed!

Ok so I think that's all the questions.

So I think I'll give a little more in depth picture of what Chaparral is like. If you googlemap it you can see that it is indeed all trailers. There are hundreds of nasty dogs running everywhere. There are tons of churches out here. The J-dubs are huge. Pentacostals are huge. Some church called the church of Smirnoff or something like that. So I'm actually kinda tired of battling with people at this point. I do a LOT of calling unto repentance. Oh yeah, we drive a truck, too, because about half of the roads aren't paved, just dirt.

There's nothing like Chaparral in the world. I love it, I really do. Yes, it's ugly and uncomfortable in a lot of ways, but you just have to think of it as an adventure and be able to laugh at the pure craziness of it. There are a few cities that are pretty similar to El Paso, same with Tucson, but there is nowhere in THE WORLD quite like Chaparral.

Anyways, as for things that happened this week. We set a baptismal date with an investigator, Oswaldo, who's been investigating forever and has never set a baptismal date. Alma 32:16, does the trick every time. He's awesome and I am PUMPED for his date. It's February 16.

One quick battle story. We were talking with a couple of guys from some weird church and they just had some CRAZY doctrines. One of those was that there is no such thing as authority from God, that faith is the same as authority. We told him that there is a story in the new testament of a people being baptized, and then Paul comes along and finds out that it wasn't done with the proper authority and he baptizes them again. He says "I don't believe it! That never happened! You're making things up." We than take his Bible and have him read the story and he just says "...Fueron bautizados otra vez...que raro." (They were baptized again...that's weird) CONFOUNDED! It was awesome.

Well anyways. I'm healthy now. Everything is going great. The restored gospel is true. I gotta go run, we have a zone activity but I love you all!

Love,

Elder Wilson

No comments: