Monday, August 18, 2008

December 17, 2007 - Fire up that chicken casserole captain M. . .

Hello one and all and a Merry Christmas to every one of you! It's nice and chilly here in El Paso and so I appreciate all of those warm clothes I recieved!

Parents: I haven't recieved those lastest packages yet but hopefully they'll come soon.

Sister Clark thank you so much for the package that was so nice! I really appreciated the treats and the gloves and hat!

How are things back home? And in Virginia? Is it snowing a lot? How's everyone doing? I'll bet Nikolai is getting to be huge! Can baby Luke crawl yet? Is baby Eva a cryer? Lemme know!

So it has been an amazing week. We found some great new families and we've got a baptism scheduled for each of the next two weekends: Vanessa, a single mother with five daughters, and sister Luthi, the wife in a part-member family.

We found and are now teaching a really cool lady named Alice! It was a miracle how she was found. Elder Thompson was on exchanges and they felt a prompting to knock a certain door and she had been praying for help! She's AAAAaaaaaawesome!

Quick second to answer Mom's questions:

1) I'm taking pictures with my camera but not nearly enough. I'll try to send home a memory card or a CD soon.
2)I've got enough warm clothes thanks to your package so I'm doing fine in that regard although our apartment doesn't have heat so we're freezing at night and in the morning.
3) Yes we're on car-share so we're riding bikes half the time and I'm going to be using some of your money to buy a new bike because I broke my ancient 1970's bike that I was riding before.
4) I've given out copies of your books to missionaries, members, and investigators and would love a bunch more if you have any more. Trust me I'll find a good use for them. (And yes, they really do love Mary down here)

We got some news from the Mission President that Mike Huckabee has been Mormon-bashing. I'm definitely sorry to hear that. But we haven't felt the backlash down here. I think that people down here are generally more involved in Mexican politics (If they're involved in politics at all.)

Contacted an Argentine the other day and I thought she was speaking Italian at first! So different sounding, the Spanish down there, but cool.

One experience that actually happened a week or two ago but I'm not sure I wrote home about that was HILARIOUS! Elder Thompson contacted a black man on the street and got a reaction that he wasn't expecting. Here are some of the highlight quotes of how the man responded to him:
"Man I'm here living on the streets, I haven't eaten in three days, and you give me a picture of a WHITE JESUS?"
Elder T: "Well do you want the card?"
Man: "Can I eat it?"

By the way, the people down here have some weeeeird Catholic beliefs. I've gotten it a few times where I ask someone "Do you believe in Jesus Christ?" And they say "No, I believe in the virgin".
...
Nonsensical stuff like that throws me for a loop; I don't know how to respond. At least they're honest with themselves.

By the way I don't know if I've written home about this yet but Fort Bliss is in our area over here so I spend every other Sunday at services on the military base with most of the members in full fatigues. They've got some amazing faith out there and I love those Soldier/Saints. Please remember to keep them in your prayers.

Well I'd better get going but I love you all and I'm praying for all of you! The gospel is true! Jesus is the Christ!

Love,
Elder Wilson

No comments: