Monday, August 18, 2008

November 5, 2007 - Kwan-su-Dude

Hello!

Well it appears that my request for more mail mail and less email was heard. Thank you very much, this gives me more time to write on preperation day (Even though i really don't have that much to say)

This week was a good week. I got to do my first baptism. That is, this is my first baptism where I actually performed the ordinance. It was in Spanish so that was a little scary but it went fine. I baptized a young man named Eddie who heard about the church about a month ago and is already making plans to go on a mission. He's SOOOO cool. We're going to try to go to the Juarez Temple with him sometime this week so that he can do Baptisms for the Dead. I'm excited, it's been a while since I've been in a temple. But anyways his Baptism was reallllly powerful.

Speaking of Baptisms, I went to an area called Sunland Park with Elder Thompson where he had the opportunity to Baptize one of his former investigators. This man was huge, and Elder Thompson is tiny. To make matters worse, the font wasn't quite working all the way for some reason and so the water was really shallow. I can honestly say, it was one of the most violent baptisms I have ever seen. The convert got scared half way through because he was dropping so far and he started flailing his arms, but Elder Thompson was not about to do that baptism over; So he just PUSHED him under the water.
I'm not going to lie, I felt pretty uncomfortable, because it was a Baptism and supposed to be sacred or whatever but I wanted to laugh really hard because Elder Thompson had just body slammed somebody into three feet of water. Good Times.

Moving on.

Had an embarssing moment with the Mayorgas where I accidentally said that I like little American boys. These kinds of things tend to happen when you try to have conversations in a language that you don't really speak.

There's been some rumors trickling down from the top that I *might* get transfered. Honestly no one really knows at this point but it's looking like a distinct possibility so starting this Saturday you might want to start sending mail to the Mission Office. Mom if you could somehow manage to get that address out to everyone I would really appreciate that.

Oh here's a good story. It wasn't out turn to have the car and our bike tires got popped so we were running on Saturday Night. We were running by a park with some basketball courts and some black guy yells at us "Hey whities, what you runnin' for? Scared?" Or something stupid like that. So I walked up to him and his friends and challenged them to a game. My companion and I beat them 7-0 including two dunks by yours truly. (In full proselyting atire) After I had humbled them unto repentance, we taught them a quick lesson and started on our way. The guy stops us as we're walking away and comes up to me, gives me a handshake/hug and goes "Hey, you're alright, white boy."

Truth be told he's AWFUL at basketball (probably because he's used to playing against Mexicans who just really don't know how to play) but it still felt really good.

The work is going awesome here. So many people are just so ready for the Gospel I can barely believe how lucky I am. And I'm so lucky to be able to see the fruits of the gospel, how much people are blessed by it.

Oh yeah, by the way we found an ENGLISH family that looks pretty money. Oh man it would be so cool if they went down.

Oh and Mom, you asked some questions about normal missionary life but I can't remember them anymore. I live in the smallest appartment in the world with just my companion and I, I teach almost entirely Spanish, we have a car half the week and a bike the other half, and I almost never get to play basketball. I really can't remember what you asked but that's my best shot. If you've got questions maybe it's best to send them in email so that I have them right here when I'm writing.

Alright well I gotta go. Love you all!

Elder Wilson

PS's

Dad - Thank you so much for your letters. I love the stuff you send me to read, especially that thing by Richard Bushman. That was spot on, I LOVED IT! and I love hearing from you and how you're doing. I'm going to try to get a letter off today to you but no promises because preperation days are so busy.

Mom - Thank you so much for the letter, those essays and the PICTURES! Oh man that was amazing to see pictures of Nikolai and Eva. I love love loved it!

All else that sent me letters thank you a ton and I'll try to write you back at some point but I'm running out of time, sorry, love you all!

PPS
Yes, I'm recieving all of your mail. Mom i got all the pictures etc. Dad I got your check and all your stuff. Everything everything. Thank you thank you thank you.

PPPS
I've got into a habit of yelling "WOOT WOOOT Here comes the PAIN TRAIN BABY!" Every morning when I wake up. It helps me wake up for some reason, don't know why. Probably because Elder Thompson hates it.

No comments: