Monday, August 18, 2008

December 27, 2007 - Merry Christmas from Chapparal

Hello everyone!

First: Where I am. I got sent up the road about 10-15 minutes to a town called Chaparral. Everyone was predicting Tucson but it just goes to show that you never know. The Lord wants me to be where he wants me to be, even if it isn't where In-n-out is.

I'm going to be companions with the District Leader, Elder Erickson. Some of the things I've heard about Chaparral:

1) There are about 5 houses in the entire place, everything else is trailers. There are tons and tons of trailers out there.

2) There's nasty stray dogs everywhere. Elder T served there before and he says that there's more dogs than people.

3) It's a make-or-break area. A lot of elders struggle with it because it's so ghetto and a lot of Elders thrive and love it there. You either love it or you hate it, from what I hear. So I'm gonna love it!

I've heard some other things but I'll let you know more when I actually get there. I already know one of the members out there named Sergio. he loves Elder Thompson so he comes out and visits sometimes. He gave me the nickname "Ivan" (Like in Rocky IV).

Anyways I had a great last week here in El Centro area. We found a new awesome big(7) family and went over and sang them some Christmas hymns on Christmas eve. We also went over and sang to some people that we knew were going to be alone on Christmas. It was amazing to see how much we lit up their day. Also a little bit sad to see people all alone on Christmas. It just really made me appreciate my amazing family.

By the way I got the little package with Mole Family Christmas, Mom's advent, and the chapter from Elder Holland's book. I loved them all, thanks!

Saying goodbye to the members and my investigators was really tough. Especially the Garcia fam. I don't know if I've told you yet but we found out that the Garcias have crossed back over to this side of the border but now Brother Garcia is in Jail for a crime that he didn't do but he'll still probably be there until February while everything gets figured out. I love that family A TON! They call me Califas. That's Mexican slang for California.

I don't know if I've written about Sister Luthi's baptism yet but it was really powerful. For some reason the hot water wouldn't turn on so she got dunked in freezing cold water the poor lady but it was still really powerful, really good baptism.

Thank you family for all of the presents I recieved, especially the electric shaver. It's saving me about 10 minutes every morning which I really appreciate.

oh yeah one thing I forgot to mention. Dad would be proud (kind of). I ate my first oyster! Hated it, it was probably my last, but I sure as heck ate it.

One family that cooked for us on Christmas made some Oyster stew and I tried it. I felt a little bad for not eating the rest of their home made oyster stew, but I was afraid that if I ate any more, I might accidentally leave some home made oyster stew of my own on their kitchen floor.

It was amazing to be able to talk to everyone on Christmas. I'm so blessed to have such an amazing family.

Sorry, I can't remember what else happened this week but next week I'm going to bring my journal with me to write my email so I can remember!

I love you all so much!

Elder Wilson

No comments: