Monday, August 18, 2008

May 6, 2008 - You see it's funny. . but it also makes you think.

HELLO! It's been a fun first few days here in Horizon! But first to answer some questions:

1) Yes we had a white truck in Chaparral and we have a white truck here in Horizon as well (Completely necessary in both towns because there are tons of dirt roads)
2) Our trailer did have bars on the windows but my current appartment does not.
3) There are actually a few nice neighborhoods in Horizon and it turns out we live next to a golf course so yes, there is some grass. (But don't be fooled, it's still DEFINITELY the desert)
4) Whereas the end of the world was visible from Chaparral, I wouldn't quite say the same thing about Horizon.
5) Yes, I got Chris's call-in number. We should be calling in shortly after 4(probably 4:15-4:25) and I do believe that we're on Mountain Standard Time. I'll let you all work out the time difference equations.

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm writing you all today because all libraries and college campuses were closed yesterday for cinco de Mayo (Although surprisingly it really isn't a very big Holiday down here.)

It seems that I always get asked about some of the details of missionary work so I'll try to offer some of those regarding Horizon:

We live in a two story appartment that is really pretty nice.
We cover a Spanish ward and an English branch. We have a washer and dryer in our appartment but they don't work so we do laundry at a member's home. My companion is from Eagle, Idaho and he's awesome. A really hard worker and spiritually powerful as well. He also has an ipod full of talks and in the past few days I've discovered Neal A. Maxwell. His talks are AMAZING. I'm convinced that he is one of the wisest men ever to live on this earth.

The Horizon area is very very large and contains lots of little communities all over far eastern El Paso. Yes all Mexican food is really spicy, and yes, it often results in digestive problems.

Oh, by the way, my address is: 13665 Horizon Blvd. #65 Horizon city, TX 79928

Well on my first night here we found an AMAZING family of 5 that came to the english branch (although they're completely fluent in both). And since then we've found a few more awesome families. I think that the work slowed down a little bit here last transfer but this is a BAPTIZING area so I'm really excited to be here and I'm already seeing quite a bit more success than I saw in my first two areas. Right now we're really focusing on doing some work in the struggling english branch and using the members to help us with finding and fellowshipping.

Well I know my thoughts have been a little bit scrambled and disorganized but the work is going very well here in Horizon and, as always, I'm excited to be serving in the great Arizona Tucson Mission! I love you all and I appreciate your loving support.

Love,

Elder Tree

No comments: