Monday, August 18, 2008

June 30, 2008 - Gather the infantry, man the posts and...what's that music?

Hello everyone!

Well it's been a short week (I wrote my last email last Wednesday), so this will be a short email. SORRY!

Last Thursday was Zone Conference and President Higham's final goodbye. I can barely believe he's gone. Crazy. He is a very very powerful leader and did an incredible job of leading this mission. He will be dearly missed. On the upside, I had the chance to meet President and Sister Walker a little bit this morning and it's all thumbs up so far. Since I only spent two minutes with them, all I can give you is details and impressions but here they go:

President Walker is medium/tall and in good shape. He strikes me as a very kind man, and somewhat soft spoken. He seems very down-to-earth and genuine.

Sister Walker is tall! And she seems pretty cool. Very genuine and very personaeble. eThe first thing she esaid teo us was "Hey guys! Oh wait, I can't call you guys, can I? Hey Elders!" Also, rumor has it that she accidentally called President Walker "Babe" in front of the Assistants.

This last week was a lot of clearing out the pipeline. Lots of lessons that ended with "So when you're ready to keep comittments, give us a call." (Said in a much more eloquent and gentler way)

THANK YOU! for the package. That was an amazingly tasty batch of granola (Unfortunately the Zone Leaders think so too and have been trying to swipe a bag) Just a heads up: My companion is a convert and doesn't have much/any support from home. So, please, next time you send a package, send a couple of things for him as well.

Quote of the week (Taken from an exchange between Elder Wilson and random man that I met while knocking doors.):

"Hi we're---"
"I'm Catholic"
"I know, I saw the giant Virgin Mary shrine in your front yard. I'm Elder Wilson and this is Elder Lopez, we're in the neighborhood sharing a message ---"
"No you didn't hear me, I'm CATHOLIC."
"Actually I did hear you. Brother, I know the message we're sharing is true. If God told you that the message that we are sharing is true, would you follow that answer?"
"No, I'm Catholic."
"... No but I mean if God himself personally came and told you that the Mormon church is the one he wants you to join, would you do it?"
"No, I was born Catholic and I'll die Catholic."
*Akward stunned silence*
Then my companion asked for a referal and we left. WOAH! At least they're firm in what they believe in! I think I need to start trying to think more like a Mexican-Catholic in order to try and convert them. So if anyone could find me a Joseph Smith prayer candle, that would be awesome.

Well that's about it for this week friends and family. I love you all and am so greatful for your love and support (letters and care-packages). I'm going to try to send off some hand written letters today so look out for those! Especially if you're a neglectful sibling who hasn't written me for a while! (I won't use names *cough* Mary and Kate *cough*)

Love you all!

Elder Ben Wilson

No comments: