Monday, August 18, 2008

January 14, 2008 - In Fact, that will be our motto: Bilko's da. . .

Hello!

First off I"ll answer some questions.

I DID recieve the calendar before Christmas and I actually did mention it in the call home. I LOVE IT! I was actually looking through it and saw the picture of us all at the Temple and I saw myself in that old suit and thought, "Hey, why didn't I bring that suit?" So that's the one I was talking about. Mom, however, reminded me why I didn't bring it... it's a really nice suit. So on second thought please don't send the suit, but the socks, shoes, and belt I could use!

The mail here is safe and so you can send me packages to my Chaparral address.

BTW, I own J-dubs. I eat them for a living. It's funny that a group claiming to be the government of Jehovah on the earth wouldn't claim any divine authority for their beginings. And the idea that their wacked out Bible is based on the earliest available Hebrew and Greek texts is down right laughable. So please don't think that I have problems with them, just with that one scripture.

Oh yeah, and I'm not driving a stick which is good because I don't know how, and the truck is good, and very necessary since half of the roads in Chaparral are dirt.

Congradulations to Ben Ivory on the mission call! I think that Washington is probably the exact opposite (in climate) of where I am now. So enjoy enough rain and green for the both of us!

I've got a few quick stories for you. First one that involves a Jehova's Witness. We knocked on his door and he informed us that he was a Jehova's Witness and wasn't interested. I asked him if he wouldn't mind getting his Bible so that we could read together, and he said he was busy. So I asked him if I could leave him with a reference to read later and he said okay. I meant to leave him with Mark 11:26 which is a scripture that they don't have in their wacked out Bible. IT just says 26:--- But I accidentally got the numbers mixed up and left him with Mark 6:11. Well it turns out that Mark 6:11 says

"ANd whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. VErily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."
Oops.

So this weekend we had a stake conference and DALLIN H. OAKS came! I love Elder Oaks. There isn't an ounce of guille in him. He's so sincere and kind. We only got two investigators there, the rest flaked. I'm studying the "How to help your investigators keep their commitments" section in Preach my Gospel about everyday. I'm SO tired of excuses. But Elder Oaks gave some great remarks and the investigators that were there loved it. By the way I got to shake his hand. He said "Elder Wilson, where are you from?" California. "What part?" San Francisco area. "Is Larry Wilson your Dad?" I was pretty impressed, he's a quick guy. Anyways, Dad, he asked about you and told me to tell you that the Bretheren are praying for you.

I ought to let you all know about a great confounding moment. I have lots of those because this town is so over-run with, to be honest, ill-intended preachers and churches. A few well-intentioned ones too, but a lot of churches are built here just to make money. Anyways I was talking to one pentecostal lady and she said "You believe that Jesus Christ is our BROTHER! and he's not our brother, he's our FATHER!" She was about hysterical so I calmed her down a little bit and acknowledged that yes, in many important ways, Christ is our father. I talked about that for a minute and then said "But sister, to whom did Christ pray, his heavenly father, right?" yes. "Is that Heavenly father our father?" Of course. "So if Christ's father, is our father, that would make us...." She was quiet for a minute and said "Jesus is God, please leave now" The confusion! Apostasy!

Well one more random story and then I'll have to close. Chaparral is the most random town in the world. Crazy things just happen. Poor people living in a run down trailer with a pet peacock, things like that. The other day we were knocking on a door and we heard this little whimper/cry thing on the other side. We keep knocking. "Hello? Can you hear us?" My companion says, it's probably just a little girl. We turn around to leave and I look back, and there's a baby lamb standing on top of a couch, with its head peeked between the curtains, looking at us through the window. CHAPARRAL CRAZINESS! I LOVE IT!

Anyways, despite the adversity and everything, there's a lot of great people out here who are excited to hear the message of the restoration, and how their family can be together forever. The gospel is true and I'm so greatful for it!

I love you all family! Hope everything is going well, keep me updated!

Love,

Elder Wilson

No comments: